“Tell me something about your
country, Umang,” said one of my friends from Iraq.
“My country Nepal is the country
of Lord Buddha and Mt. Everest, the highest peak in the world.”
I did not prepare for this answer. It came out
spontaneously. I wanted to tell him some more things realted to Nepal that
would make me feel proud , I had to
think for a while to recall them though. After
about a pause of few seconds, I added, “My
country Nepal is the second richest country in water resources and yes it’s the country of lakes and
mountains.”
“What’s the per capita income of
your country?”
This was something he should not
have asked. I would not have answered it for any price if he belonged to somewhere from Europe or America . Luckily he was from Iraq , I answered, “$
1400 ” without feeling much shame.
He also asked me about the number
of Universities in my country. I answered in subdued voice, “Only 5….hmmmm actually few are under
construction…” Perhaps he noticed how uncomfortable
I was in answering all those questions. May
be, to make me feel better , he said, “My country has only 2.” I
indeed felt better. I was really happy to know something somewhere was worse than ours.
To make the lousy situation of
his country look reasonable, he explained how the development in Iraq froze
during the rule of Saddam Hussein. More than 80% of the budget used to get spent on weapons and bombs. He also recalled the moment
when he was forced to join army during war time, a month after
receiving his Engineering certificates. But now the situation was different. Iraq was
rejuvenating after the fall of Saddam. Things were changing . He was in great ecstasy about the change as like we
Nepalese were 5 years back after the fall of Kingship. However, every change
does not guarantee progress. Who else knows it better than us. Only after this
conversation, I realized how pathetic our country’s situation was. We haven’t
been involved in war since long ago. We have reasonably long history of democracy. We choose our
leader by ourselves. Still we lie at bottom 20 out of 181 countries according
to World bank GDP estimate. Nevertheless,
we always have 2 reasons to be proud of,
Buddha and Everest. Hundred of years back, when America was filled with nomadic
people and Australia used to be land of English slaves, our forefathers used to
have 2 reasons to be proud of, Buddha and Everest. Hundred of years have passed
away , America has now found reasons to
be proud of Neil Armstrong , Abraham Lincoln, Edison , Bill Gates , Larry Page
and the list goes on. We still are pretty much satisfied to be proud of same 2
things. In near future, America might gain privilege of exploring Mars. Meanwhile,
we Nepalese will continue to be proud of
same Buddha and same Everest. Why can’t we be proud of something new? Why can’t
our country create leaders like Roosevelt? Why can’t we have people like Bill Gates?
Why can’t we think like Edison?
I am thankful to god that he has
blessed our country with the highest peak.
But, what have we done to own it? We did not win it in a battle. We did
not create it. We did not bring it from outside. It’s a gift of nature to us.
How can we be proud of gifts? I can be thankful about it but I can’t be proud of
it. Why do we keep on gassing about same
Everest time and again? May be because, we don’t have any other reasons to be
proud of. It’s because we want to cover up our nations failure beneath the
shadow of Everest.
We have a privilege of being part
of earliest civilization that dates back to period of Janak (mentioned in
Ramayana) and Birat (mentioned in Mahabharat). 700 years back when USA had not even been discovered, we used to have palaces made up of
gold and silver. 200 years back , our
brave ancestors did not allow British force to set foot in our nation. We do
have such a great history. In today’s date, can we imagine our Nepalese troop
resisting British force for even a single day? The truth hurts.
What actually went wrong for us? Where
lies the flaw? Well, I think , flaw lies in our attitude. We get satisfied too
easily. We live in the glory of past. We don’t adjust ourselves with the pace
of time. Today, in the era of Science and Technology , we are happy with the
tag of ‘Brave Gorkhalis’ bequeathed to us by our ancestors. It's not the era
of bravery, it's is the era of intelligence.
When are we going to realize that?
We need to first change ourselves in order to change our country. Let’s not
be proud of the highest peak. Let’s build a skyscraper taller than Everest. Let’s
not be proud of same old Buddha. Let’s create people like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. Let’s give our future generations some authentic reasons to be proud of.
No comments:
Post a Comment